What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

XML/Rest sensor Authentication

Votes:

I am trying to setup a sensor that will return a value from an xml page. The page requires authentication but this sensor does not seem to have a way to provide that.

I tried passing the authentication using http://user:[email protected] but that does not work on Apach 2.2 anymore. Any alternative?

authenication sensor xml-rest

Created on Mar 16, 2011 5:11:34 PM

Last change on Mar 24, 2011 1:56:33 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

which sensor type are you using?

Best Regards.

Created on Mar 17, 2011 4:32:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

HTTP XML/REST Value as mentioned in the subject of my post. I am using the latest version of PRTG.

Created on Mar 17, 2011 4:37:56 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid this sensor has no option for authentication settings. If you can't URL-Encode the credentials, I'm afraid then it's not possible to use this sensor.

Created on Mar 17, 2011 4:50:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am trying to get URL encoded credentials to work. I found a registry setting that will the iexplore.exe and explorer.exe to allow me to pass the credentials. (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834489). This registry hack requires you to list the specific program that is allowed to pass the authentication.

I have tested on the server where the sensor is running. From the command line I can run: "explorer.exe http://user:[email protected]/webpage" and it opens the xml page in internet explorer. Yet the sensor still does not work. It returns 0:The remote server returned an error. (401) Unauthorized.

Can you tell me what program the the sensor passes the credentials to? I should then be able to add it to the registry.

Created on Mar 24, 2011 9:57:18 PM

Votes:

That would be the 'XMLValue.exe' in PRTGs subfolder '\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System'.

Created on Mar 25, 2011 1:45:00 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 25, 2011 1:45:30 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I did the same registry edit for XMLvalue.exe but it is still not passing the authentication. I contacted the original developer of the XMLvalue.exe and he was able to create a custom sensor based on this one that would all me to add -un=username and -pw=password to the end of the parameters and that works. Any chance you could incorporate that ability into your sensor? I am not sure what the difference is between his and your accept that yours is a little easier to setup.

Created on Mar 25, 2011 5:11:36 PM

Votes:

It's likely implemented in a future release. But I can't say when exactly.

Created on Mar 25, 2011 5:13:55 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes I'm also looking for a sensor that can get a file but which requires authentication. Is this the only file examination sensor?

Created on Nov 11, 2011 12:32:04 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.