What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor Vcenter

Votes:

I want to monitor Vcenter and what is in there.. Can you tell me the steps and sensors to use..

esx esxi vcenter

Created on Mar 18, 2011 10:35:21 AM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

• In PRTG, add your VCenter as a device.
  • In the device settings, please do not forget to enter Credentials for VMware/XEN Servers and save your settings. Please use your Windows domain credentials.
  • Then, back in the device tree, right-click on this newly created device and from the context menu, select Run Auto-Discovery.

PRTG will now scan your VCenter and add a sensor for each virtual machine found.

Created on Mar 18, 2011 11:44:10 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 18, 2011 1:58:32 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Tried that with permissions of the root account of the esx server and tried admin permissions ons Vcenter no results.. Now I try a detailed auto discovery

Created on Mar 18, 2011 12:13:04 PM

Votes:

In the Credentials for VMware/XEN Servers, use the same credentials you are using when connecting to the vCenter Server with the vSphere Client.

Created on Mar 18, 2011 1:58:06 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jan 8, 2021 7:54:22 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Which is the way to monitor Vcenter Appliance Disk's occupation? I've tryed with SSH and SNMP sensor but no disks are shown anytime.

Command> snmp.get
Config:
   Enable: True
   Users:
   Notraps:
   Privacy: none
   Loglevel: warning
   V3targets:
   Pid: n/a
   Syslocation:
   Targets:
   Remoteusers:
   Authentication: none
   Communities: public
   Engineid: 80001adc80bba3ef3f4a663d5700000000
   Port: 161
   Syscontact:

Thank you

Created on May 21, 2018 9:37:44 AM

Last change on May 21, 2018 10:22:52 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Dear ACI GLobal,

that is not possible with PRTG's build-in sensors.

Created on May 24, 2018 3:24:46 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 24, 2018 3:25:20 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.