What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Interfaces are all paused

Votes:

I am a new user of PRTG using the trial version. I work in a shop with all Dell PowerConnect switches that I am looking to monitor bandwidth on. Because we use Dell there is no NetFlow or Jflow available to me. All switches have a very basic configuration and are on the same subnet. I installed the product and discovery found all the switches I asked it to, but there are issues:

1. Some of the switches were discovered by name, and some by IP. There are DNS entries for all switches and name resolution is working, but PRTG discovered them inconsistently. 2. Some switches show all the expected Ethernet Interfaces and some show few or none. 3. All interfaces that are being shown are listed as "paused" and have no traffic history associated with them.

I am using the default installation and discovery methods. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

discovery snmp

Created on Mar 22, 2011 2:03:49 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hallo,

did you already activate the software? when you look at one paused sensor there should be a message why it is paused

e.g. "by dependency" "by user" "not licensed"....

Created on Mar 23, 2011 5:20:56 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good Morning,

I am a bit embarassed to admit that I misunderstood the definition of "sensor". I thought that having 10 sensor licenses for the freeware product would be enough to monitor the 7 switches I would use for the test. I didn't realize that each switch port would be counted as a sensor and as a result there wouldn't be enough to even begin to test functionality. Late yesterday I downloaded the trialware and lo and behold I am looking at all the ports on all the switches (except for the one that I have to troubleshoot). Lesson learned. Thank you for the attempt to enlighten a rookie.

Created on Mar 23, 2011 12:50:28 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.