What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to connect to an Oracle DB using SID?

Votes:

Hi support team, if i#m using the default SIDfrom our tnsnames i receive the error: Could not connect to database: Database Server Error: NET: Invalid SID So i think the user credentials are correct but something's wrong with the SID-string in the properties of the sensor. I only use the SID 'TEST' as value for the database field. Is there something more to do? Thanks, Andreas

database oracle sid

Created on Mar 22, 2011 3:39:15 PM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

which version of PRTG are you running? In v7 the Oracle Sensors worked differently then now in v8.

The Error message "Could not connect to database: Database Server Error: NET: Invalid SID " appears if the name of the database is wrong.

Just another tip, if you are confident that the database name is correct (exactly the same from the Oracle server) it might help to restart the Oracle Listener and Oracle Database Service.

Best Regards.

Created on Mar 23, 2011 1:30:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 14, 2011 11:44:12 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, it is the version 8 prtg. And, yeah, it seems to be, that the database name ist wrong. But using oracle tools (sql+) to connect to the DB everything ist fine. And even the values in the tnsnames are the same. i've installed the oracle tools on the prtg server, maybe there ist something neccessary to build up the connection. But's not working. Can i check the connection with a commandline or another tool? Monitoring oracle tablespaces is neccessary for my environment. thx for your help.

Andreas

Created on Mar 23, 2011 2:37:11 PM

Votes:

Hi, i'm using v8.3.1.2088 and i can connect with the values (sid, user credentials) to the database (sql+) - even from the server on which PRTG is installed. So are there some more prerequisites i have to fullfill? Or do i have to change the syntax of the database field (e.g. SID@databaseserver os something like that).

Best regards.

Created on Mar 24, 2011 11:43:22 AM

Votes:

Enter Service Name as defined in "tnsnames.ora" on the server.

Created on Apr 5, 2011 11:58:28 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Okay. After e few tries the default SID works. I've checked the Oracle DB tnsnames file and find out that there's a different one. However - it works. But now, using following statement "select sum(bytes)/1024/1024 from dba_free_space where tablespace_name = 'KHV'" (without ""), i receive no value. The sensor is okay ('green') but shows nothing. Wrong statement???

Created on Apr 29, 2011 2:25:25 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.