What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there any possibility to modify detailed user rights?

Votes:

Is there any possibility to modify user group rights, that they are able to pause/acknowledge sensors, but not create and move objects?

howto prtg user

Created on Mar 3, 2010 2:29:16 PM

10 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

That is not possible at the moment, sorry. Rights management is limited to the following 4 settings per object in the sensor tree:

RightA member of a user group can...
none... not even see an object
read... see an object (including all sub objects)
... see its status and configuration
write... see an object (including all sub objects)
... see its status
... edit its configuration (except access rights)
... create sub objects
... delete sub objects
full... everything of 'write'
... edit access rights on object level

Note: To delete or create objects you must have at least "write" rights on the parent object.

Created on Mar 3, 2010 2:44:03 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 3, 2010 3:49:26 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

Thank you for your reply. Is it planned to extend user rights management in future releases?

Created on Mar 4, 2010 2:20:22 PM

Votes:

it is not certain yet. That is all I can say for now, sorry.

Created on Mar 4, 2010 3:37:31 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Found a workaround:

Access right for all groups and devices = read

Access right for all sensors = write

Users are now available to pause and acknowledge sensors, but not to move them

Created on Mar 5, 2010 4:50:49 PM

Last change on Jan 12, 2011 12:49:32 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Does the workaround apply to version 9.2.x as well? I'd like to create a group of users that have the ability to pause/resume/acknowledge sensors or devices, but not be able to create/clone/delete devices or sensors.

Created on Feb 6, 2012 8:56:10 PM

Votes:

Hi,
this should work for version 9.2 as well but we have not tested it.
Best regards

Created on Feb 7, 2012 8:03:22 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have implemented the rights on 9.2.x. However, the major issue with this method is that the users can not pause/resume a device or group, they can only pause/resume sensors. For example, they get an "Ajax Request Failed PE1001 /api/pause.htm 400 bad request" error when trying to pause at the device level. A similar error happens when they resume.

Really am expecting to see better rights management in the next update. I just don't see the need for my "operators" to have admin rights.

Created on Mar 21, 2012 3:57:38 PM

Votes:

If the users do not have more than read-rights to a device, they cannot pause it. This will most likely not be changed. You do not need to give those users admin rights, but write-rights on those devices.

Created on Mar 21, 2012 4:25:21 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

But if they have write permissions on a device, they can create/delete sensors for a device, which is what we don't want "operators" doing.

Created on Mar 21, 2012 5:05:51 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid then the only option is to mark all sensors on a device and pause them at once.

Created on Mar 21, 2012 5:28:15 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.