What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I monitor a website without adding a device?

Votes:

We currently use ManageEngine's Applications Manager 8 to monitor external websites and I am trailing PRTG as a potential replacement. However, I have come across a potential game breaker for us.

We need to monitor these websites from an external source. So although we host the sites, we can't monitor them from within the same network. We have a separate external monitoring setup for this, but PTRG seems to want me to add the server as a device first, then the HTTP sensor on top.

Obviously, as the PTRG server is sat outside the network, I can't monitor the device. Is there a way of setting up HTTP sensors without the need to be able to 'see' the server which hosts them?

Any advice would be appreciated!

http ptrg remote

Created on Mar 24, 2011 2:34:00 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

unless you are using the HTTP Full Webpage Sensors, it should be possible to add the HTTP Sensors to the Probe Device of the Local Probe and enter the IP/Hostname of the machine to be monitored then in the sensor.

Best Regards.

Created on Mar 24, 2011 3:45:16 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.