What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Every day around the same time, my firewall "goes down" according to PRTG but in reality it is not d

Votes:

I am monitoring my firewall ports using SNMP data and around the same time each day, presumably when traffic is very heavy, the PRTG monitor says the firewall ports are going down. I think it is just not getting SNMP data from the firewall, is that possible? Is there something in the software I can do to check to see what is actually happening?

down prtg snmp

Created on Mar 24, 2011 10:00:48 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

this sounds pretty much like a load issue and then the device not responding (due to the heavy load caused by the high traffic) at all, or not responding in time. Please try increasing the SNMP Timeout setting in PRTG Credentials for SNMP Devices, check if the 'Retry' for failed requests is enabled in the SNMP Compatibility Options, and also please try a 'SNMP Delay' of maybe 50-200 (ms) if currently it is set to 0 in the SNMP Compatibility Options.

Best Regards.

Created on Mar 25, 2011 1:50:26 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.