What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Lots of notifications if one "device" is down?

Votes:

Is there a way to setup notifications to let me know if a specific device fails? Basically, if one of my routers is down, I get a notification for every sensor that has been added to the router. I still need to monitor bandwidth, CPU, memory, etc., but I really only need to be notified when the router is down (unavailable). Thanks in advance.

notifications ping router

Created on Mar 28, 2011 1:30:20 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Set Ping Sensor the Master Object for Parent

1. Set it: Open the settings of the Ping sensor that pings your workstation.
    • In the Schedules and Dependencies settings, select Dependency Type Master object for parent.
    • Save your settings.
  2. Test it: Right-click on the Ping sensor you just edited and select Simulate Error Status.
    • The Ping sensor will turn to a red Down status.
    • All other sensors on this device should show a blue Paused (Message "Paused by Dependency") status. If they do, you've successfully set your other sensors dependent on the Ping sensor. If they don't show a Pause status, please proceed to step 3.
  3. Open the settings of the other sensors on your device and make sure they all use Dependency Type Use parent. Proceed to step 2.

More

For more information, please see manual section Dependencies.

Created on Mar 28, 2011 2:23:29 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Torsten, thank you for that information; it worked exactly like you said it would. After speaking to my manager about it, he brought up making the routers' serial interface the Master Object for Parent. His idea is that if a switch goes down and "Ping" is the Master, the alert will still be sent due to the PRTG server's ability to contact the router. Also, many times if a circuit goes down, the router can still be contacted via the LAN.

If anyone could let me know if that is a good plan, I would greatly appreciate it.

Created on Mar 28, 2011 7:51:38 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.