Please explain the background of the Paessler Knowledge Base.
What topics are covered here?
Any questions regarding network monitoring and regarding our products are welcome. The Paessler support team together with the community will try to answer your questions.
How does it work?
After registering for an account you can engage in asking and answering questions. There are various ways to get involved:
- If you have asked a question that has received answers please select your preferred answer by clicking the "Select as best answer" medal (it will then change to "Best answer"). If you don't select an answer this will tell the others that you have not received a decent reply yet and that your problem has not been solved yet.
- If you (dis)like a question or an answer, please vote by clicking the up and down arrows! This helps rating all questions and answers for quality.
- You can subscribe to any question to get an email when a new answer is published. If subscribed, you will also be informed when your own question is published by the moderators.
Please note that all your postings will be moderated by the Paessler moderators and will not show up immediately.
What kind of questions can I ask here?
Network monitoring questions, of course! As long as your question is:
- detailed and specific
- written clearly and simply
- of interest to at least one other person somewhere
... it is welcome here. No question is too trivial or too "newbie". Oh yes, and it should be about Network Monitoring in general, PRTG or other Paessler products.
Before you ask, please look around to see if your question has already been asked (or maybe even answered!). If you end up asking a question that has been asked before, that is OK and deliberately allowed. Other users will hopefully answer with links to related or similar questions to help future visitors find their way.
What kind of questions should I not ask here?
Avoid asking questions that are subjective, argumentative, or require extended discussion. This is not a discussion board, this is a place for questions that can be answered!
Also remember that this Knowledge Base is focused on network monitoring using products from Paessler AG, especially PRTG Network Monitor. Please do not ask questions for other monitoring products here.
What is "reputation"?
The "reputation" of a user is a summary of his activity on the Knowledge Base shown as a number of points. You will find this number next to each user name. For each activity like asking or answering questions, voting, etc. you gain points, if somebody votes you down you loose points. For some actions you must first earn a specific level of reputation.
Who is answering my question(s)?
Answers will be given by users of PRTG as well as people from Paessler. The Paessler Support Team and even the developers of PRTG will actively engage in answering and moderating.
Who is running this Knowledge Base?
The Paessler Knowledge Base is run by Paessler AG, a company that creates and sells network monitoring software.
Is there a code-of-conduct?
Please behave like having a friendly but serious discussion with friends in your favorite after-work-place around the block!
- Be nice: Treat others with the same respect you'd want them to treat you. We're all here to learn together. Be tolerant of others who may not know everything you know. Bring your sense of humor.
- Be honest: Above all, be honest. If you see misinformation, vote it down. Insert comments indicating what, specifically, is wrong. Even better: Provide stronger, faster, superior answers of your own!
Users that do not behave properly will be banned by the moderators.
What are the legal rules for content (questions and answers) of the Paessler Knowledge Base?
- All content in the Paessler Knowledge Base belongs to Paessler AG.
- If you post a question or an answer you agree to grant Paessler AG the royalty-free, unlimited, perpetual, non-exclusive, irrevocable right and license to make, use, copy, distribute, display, publish, perform, modify, or translate your written post for any purpose and in any medium worldwide and to sublicense the foregoing rights, and this sublicense right, to others.
- If you post a question or an answer you confirm that your post does not contain information that is owned by a third party, that is copyright-proctected, classified or otherwise illegal.
- You may use information from this Knowledge Base for your own personal or commercial needs, but you may not redistribute, alter, transform, or build upon this work.