What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Where is the user forum, & how do I create a device sensor template?

Votes:

I can't seem to find an official user forum. Does one not exist? If not, why? I love user forums and would love to discuss with fellow network admins/managers about their use of PRTG.

Also I am trying to use PRTG to monitor cable modem counts for upstream and downstream interfaces on an Arris C4 CMTS. If I have the SNMP MIBS/OIDs, how can I create a sensor template to allow me to monitor how many cable modems are online per port? I also want it to alert when 20% of the modems go offline.

Do you have any ideas? Thanks.

prtg snmp template

Created on Apr 1, 2011 6:52:35 PM

14 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

you are in the 'actual PRTG User Forum'.

For creating device templates in your 'situation' it would probably be best to add one device with the sensors you want to monitor (probably SNMP Custom Sensors, with one of the OIDs each), and then create a device template from this device by right-clicking on it and selecting 'Create Device Template...'.

Best Regards.

Created on Apr 4, 2011 11:05:55 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I want to create a template for my Cisco devices that will only add interfaces with a certain description on the port.

For example the template should add CPU, Memory and any ports with the work Uplink or Trunk in the description.

I'm tired of running network discovery and having it add all the ethernet and loopback interfaces on a switch.

Is there a way to add a new template for this? Thanks

Created on May 4, 2011 5:23:56 PM

Votes:

Dear Benjamin, it's not possible to only add SNMP Traffic sensors for certain interfaces with the Auto-Discovery. The Auto-Discovery will always (regardless with a Device Template or not) add SNMP Traffic Sensors for all interfaces, which have a SNMP Traffic counter > 0 and don't have a sensor yet.

Created on May 4, 2011 6:10:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I guess this knowledgebase is ok for asking questions but is terrible for a community environment. Just for the record I wish there was a traditional forum setup somewhere.

Created on May 4, 2011 6:14:32 PM

Votes:

I have to agree that this knowledge base is ok... but a forum would be a huge improvement

Created on Jul 9, 2011 7:54:17 PM

Votes:

Hallo,

we belie that a Forum would be a good idea, but we have tried and interaction was very poor!

Most posts still came from support.

Created on Jul 10, 2011 6:48:05 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Also I " would love to discuss with fellow network admins/managers about their use of PRTG. ", like willieb posted.

That's why I've setup www.prtgforum.com . A user forum to exchange knowledge and experience about PRTG. But, making the note that the forum is not affiliated with the PRTG vendor Paessler. It's independent.

I hope to welcome a lot of PRTG customers and exchange some handy ways to monitor all kinds of hardware, software and processes.

Pieter | www.prtgforum.com

Created on Aug 2, 2013 1:24:50 PM

Votes:

Awesome Pieter. Thanks for the forum creation. I hope Paessler doesn't have an issue with it and it catches on quickly. I will surely come over and contribute.

One thing I would suggest is to have a no bashing, no complaint rule, in other words, don't allow anything that would be negative to PRTG. More times than not folks join forums because they have a problem and need help, not because they want to help. With that it's easy for users to start bashing and throwing punches. If not moderated properly it could show PRTG in a negative light and turn people way. But if moderated properly, the forum you've created has the potential to be a great community support site for PRTG's users, which would include showing PRTG in a positive light to bring even more users, thus more community support for us. :-)

Good luck!

Created on Aug 2, 2013 2:25:38 PM

Votes:

Willie, I have informed Paessler about my action. Dirk Paessler has send me some notes regarding the layout, branding, etc. And he's possitive about the idea.

Good suggestion, and I'm fully aware of that. There will be strict moderation. There's no room for problems on the forum. Then they can contact Paessler support in various ways. Goal is to share best practices and to optimize the PRTG environment. Get the most out of it. According to your suggestion, I adjusted the forum rules.

With Dirk I had some discussion over email over using PRTG in a virtual environment, on virtual machines. If users do not configure PRTG the right way ( not having a steady and optimized hardware configuration, and use auto discovery instead of thinking about a solid design ), the user experience of PRTG can be very negative. Then PRTG is not the problem, but their own environments has bottlenecks. I hope that users of PRTG can share their experiences. There are so much possibilities with it, and the IT administrations job can be less stressfull with pro-active insight in the environment.

Created on Aug 3, 2013 8:23:33 PM

Votes:

What's the status on http://www.prtgforum.com ?

I tried to reach it today and got no response and it's not showing in DNS.

Created on Jan 9, 2015 5:54:43 PM

Votes:

According to our knowledge www.prtgforum.com was closed a while ago.

Created on Jan 12, 2015 9:50:36 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Greg,

The status of PRTGforum.com is that I've closed the forum about 6 months ago.

When I started the forum I tried to get some interaction. Also Olli Jokinen ( from PRTGplugins.com ) mentioned the forum in it's company newsletter. But like Aurelio said above said about a previous forum try, also now " the interaction was poor ".

That is the reason why I didn't put more energy in it.

All the best. Kind regards, Pieter Reitsma

Created on Jan 12, 2015 1:30:33 PM

Votes:

Prtg automatically create such settings to inherited settings. to create a device template you should right click in your device tree. enter the meaningful display name for device template.

Created on Nov 3, 2022 2:45:19 PM

Votes:

Hi Guys, It might come in handy when setting many servers to approve SNMP connection from PRTG probes. The script can be used remotely, so no RDP connection is needed. It uses PS jobs, sessions, and functions. Once created SNMP service on the remote server will be restarted to apply changes. It will check which server couldn't be connected and confirm where the SNMP service was created.

Created on Nov 5, 2022 10:37:45 AM

Last change on Nov 7, 2022 2:08:30 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.