What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do you add an additional channel to an existing sensor?

Votes:

I have an existing HTTP Content sensor and have appended additional channel items [] to the http response. Now i wanted to adjust the sensor to add the additional channel items [] to the existing probe. I guess i could recreate it, however is there another way?

channel prtg sensor

Created on Apr 5, 2011 5:52:41 AM

12 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

the HTTP-Content sensor should have a field called "Number of channels" in its settings. Please try this one.

best regards.

Created on Apr 5, 2011 3:22:15 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately "Number of channels" is only available when you create the sensor, once created there is no ability to add/remove a channel.

Created on Apr 5, 2011 11:37:22 PM

Votes:

Sorry, you're right, then you would have to create a new sensor.

Created on Apr 6, 2011 11:18:12 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

is this still the case 4 years later?? it would be _so_ helpful to be able to alter the number of channels. thanks?!!! (please)?

Created on Feb 3, 2015 8:30:04 PM

Votes:

As you can see, there haven't been further requests to this, so yes this is not changed.

Created on Feb 4, 2015 8:34:44 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It would be great if you could add channels as things change over time, i.e. disk gets added or an new schedule task gets added and so on.

Issue with recreating the sensor is that you lose all historical data which is bad for SLA scenarios and you lose unusual capabilities.

What would be great would be if we for i.e. advanced console XML sensors to be able to re-create sensor but keeping historical data.

Created on Feb 25, 2016 8:03:47 AM

Votes:

Same question here.

I've several SQL sensors, where channels might be added (actually, I have several of those sensors where I have to add channels already). So yeah, it would be extremely helpful if we could add channels AFTER creating the sensors!

Created on Dec 7, 2016 11:31:09 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid the same holds true indeed for the SQL Sensors. I'll put it on the wish list to improve this.

Created on Dec 8, 2016 9:46:22 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Paessler, is there any news regards adding more channels to excisting sensors?

Created on Aug 9, 2018 10:41:46 AM

Votes:

I join the club - in general any sensor should be adjustable with the channels. I understand that I would not see historical data for those additional channels before they have been added - but yes - I have that issue with several sensors that rely on advanced EXE / XML data etc.

E.g. DHCP scopes monitoring, the second I add a scope I need a separate sensor... unless I add blind channels in the beginning - what is confusing if you look at the sensor as well..

It would be nice to have this as a feature! Would be a great help and make many things more variable.

Removing channels as well!

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Aug 9, 2018 2:20:05 PM

Votes:

I would like to chime in on this as well. We run Cisco switches, and when we add a fiber SFP, we can't add/rediscover this sensor to add the tx/rx channels for the new fiber module. Asking us to delete and recreate the sensor is not acceptable, as we lose all of our fiber tx/rx information for the other channels.

We need a fix/solution for this.

Created on Feb 4, 2019 3:29:45 PM

Votes:

I've opened a feature request thread in the KB for this. Please visit it and vote for it:
Feature Request: Allow adding & removing Channels to existing sensors

Please be aware that replies to Feature Request Threads won't be published. We'll be happy to add details to a Feature Request though, that can be from emails sent to referring to a certain thread or from a post reply (which will then be left unpublished).

Created on Feb 5, 2019 9:34:39 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.