What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Where is root\cimv2 pointing to?

Votes:

Unable to login credential for remote disk space monitoring. Refer to suggestion given: https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/1053-are-there-any-testing-tools-for-wmi

1. wbemtest - Result: Failed. Revert with error error "Error: 800706BA: The RPC server is unavailable"
2. PRTG WMI tester - Result: Failed. Revert with error "Error: 800706BA: The RPC server is unavailable"
3. WMIDiag - Result: Work Correctly. Messg: WMIDiag determined that WMI works CORRECTLY. HOWEVER, the log file generated is meant for local not a remote system. Therefore, it is a fail result to grab WMI info from a remote system (Note: DCOM security has been enabled to allow remote access)

I believe I have no problem with WMI at remote system but only credential login whereby WMI Tester doesn't accept the authentication and return with Error: 800706BA: The PRC server is unavailable. Anyone manage to get WMI Disk reporting successfully?

namespace wmi wmitest

Created on Apr 6, 2011 8:24:06 AM

Last change on Apr 6, 2011 12:05:44 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

'root\cimV2' is the default namespace for WMI queries, and if it were the wrong one, you should see an according error message. 'Error: 800706BA: The RPC server is unavailable' really means that (even though the WMI might be ok on the target host) the connection can't be established, as the RPC server is not available. Now, this can either mean that the port is blocked (usually port 135) or that the used credentials (i.e. the user) is not allowed to access it.

Best Regards.

Created on Apr 6, 2011 12:17:19 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I'm sure that port 135 is open as telnet successfully gets into it. Also, I'm an admin therefore it shouldn't blocking me to proceed. Basically I can access the host target file system, so I don't think it's a credential problem.

I did a search in youtube on WMI query yesterday, it suggests to enable "Windows Firewall:allow remote administration exception" at gpedit. Anyhow, it doesn't make any different. Next thing to try is download scriptomatic v2 script, it successfully shows target machine info which means namespace doesn't have problem.

I'm wonder if PRTG has specific logfile to trace instead of just showing 'Error: 800706BA: The RPC server is unavailable'?

Created on Apr 7, 2011 1:50:44 AM

Votes:

Being able to login to a target machine, unfortunately doesn't always mean, that the same credentials allow to monitor via WMI. In any way, if the WMI classes exist on the target, and the used account is allowed a connection should be possible. Which it isn't. So it has to be a connection problem. You could disable all firewalls for a test, or try with our WMI Tester a bit more with different accounts, etc..

Created on Apr 7, 2011 1:18:37 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.