What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to automate adding sensors/devices?

Votes:

I have a device, in which I need to scan some oid with the oid template and add them to sensor table (like SNMP template with extension .oidlib ) do. I need, that every sensor:

• Have other oid name. For example, sensor that have oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.3224.4.1.1.1.20.0 would have a title that oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.3224.4.1.1.1.4.0 have value and oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.3224.4.1.1.1.20.2 would have a title that oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.3224.4.1.1.1.4.2 have value. AND
  • Every sensor would have enabled limits. For example, "Lower Error Limit (#)", "Error Limit Message", etc. For every sensor limits are the same.

How should I do that to automate that process?

device devices prtg script sensor sensors snmp

Created on Mar 5, 2010 9:25:21 AM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

For the first part you can create your own .oidlib files using the MIB Importer (https://www.paessler.com/tools/mibimporter). Instead of importing add the required entries manually (using the Table option and OID placeholders for the name). But the oidlibs currently do not support setting limits.

You can use the PRTG API ( Help -> PRTG API -> Adding/Deleting Objects) but that has no access to the channel settings either.

Templates support default upper/lower limits for SNMP sensors, but no table scanning and OID Placeholders.

So the only options would be direct editing of the configuration file (maybe in combination with a custom oidlib), but this is complicated and requires the server to be stopped when editing.

Created on Mar 9, 2010 8:35:17 AM by  Jens Rupp [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for Your answer.

Created on Mar 9, 2010 2:10:48 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.