What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

wmiapsrv.exe on Windows 7 probe uses too much memory

Votes:

I have PRTG running on a Win 2008 R2 server with a probe on a Windows 7 64bit PC. I have noticed lately that getting information from WMI on the Win 7 PC has not been working, it returns an error 80041017: The query was not syntactically valid. Upon checking the wmiapsrv.exe in TaskMgr it is using over 1.3GB of memory. AFter rebooing the PC, I can see the memory usage of wmiapsrv.exe increasing, when I stop the PRTG Probe service, the memory usage of wmiapsrv.exe does NOT increase.

I have upgraded PRTG to the latest version today and the problem still exists.

prtg wmi wniapsrv-exe

Created on Apr 15, 2011 5:37:00 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Martin,

is the underlying Windows fully patched? Just to check, it's the wmiapsrv.exe and not the wmiprvse.exe (for which there is a hotfix for the memory leak: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981314/en-us )

Best regards.

Created on Apr 15, 2011 12:43:13 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, it is fully patched, SP1 was installed a few days ago and any other fixes were applied after that. The problem was there before SP1 was installed. I did download that Hotfix but when I tried to install it, it said it could not do that on my system.

Yes, it is wimapsrv.exe and not wmiprse.exe

Martin

Created on Apr 15, 2011 1:27:19 PM

Votes:

I have the same problem with PRTG running ON a Windows 7 machine. The default probe "Core-/Probezustand" causes WMIPRVSE.EXE logged in as NETWORK SERVICE to use up to 50% of both CPUs, with the same amount being used by SVCHOST.EXE. So sometimes it brings the machine nearly to a stop. As soon as I pause this probe in PRTG and terminate wmiprvse (it restarts automatically) the CPU Load remains at max 7% when the machine is idle.

Created on Aug 15, 2011 2:11:52 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.