What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I am trying to use the Master Object For Parent setting on my router PING sensors...

Votes:

For each location I would like to make the router PING sensor the MASTER OBJECT FOR PARENT with the idea that when the router is DOWN or OFFLINE any sensors that are for internal devices past the router will be paused.

This will prevent a huge flood of alerts from all the internal devices past the router. But if any single sensor for an internal device past the router goes DOWN then the alerts for that one sensor will come through.

In order to make this work is setting the router PING sensor as MASTER OBJECT FOR PARENT the best way to do it?

Also if setting the router PING sensor as MASTER OBJECT FOR PARENT is the best way to do it do I need to select a DEPENDENCY for the router PING sensor itself and do I need to select a DEPENDENCY for the other device sensors past the router?

dependency master-object ping

Created on Apr 20, 2011 12:35:46 AM

Last change on Apr 20, 2011 12:07:21 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Votes:

Setting the ping sensor as the master object is definitely the best method to achieve your desired goal. You wouldn't need to define dependencies for any other, underlying sensors, seeing as these would be paused automatically as soon as the device in case is paused.

Created on Apr 20, 2011 2:39:59 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.