What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring upload and download speed

Votes:

Hi - Please could you help, I would like the ability to monitor my remote sites upload and download speed over a number of hours/days.? One of my users has reported slow internet access at a particular time but i do not have any evidence to back this up. I currently have a PING sensor to the router, and SNMP uptime etc but I can't find a way to find out upload and download rates.

Thanks,

bandwidth prtg snmp

Created on Apr 20, 2011 10:58:30 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

There are several possibilities to monitor traffic in your network.

Using SNMP Traffic sensors you can monitor the Traffic In and Traffic Out values of one specific port of your router. Of course, it depends on your network configuration and topology if this sufficient to find the desired answers.

Other possibilities would be to use Flow monitoring (with detailed traffic analysis; if supported by your devices) or packet sniffing (if your device provides a monitoring port).

Created on Apr 20, 2011 11:58:40 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Thanks for your response but i do not want to monitor traffic in and out, I would like to monitor the download speeds..

Created on Apr 20, 2011 12:50:10 PM

Votes:

The SNMP Traffic sensor can show volume (KByte) as well as speed (kbit/s) for Traffic In and Traffic Out.

In order to monitor the download speed of a specific element included in a web site, please use a HTTP Full Webpage sensor and point its URL to this element. To perform such a measurement from a remote computer, install a Remote Probe on it and create the sensor on this Remote Probe.

Created on Apr 20, 2011 2:52:15 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Apr 20, 2011 2:56:08 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.