What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I create a sensor to alert when file count in a folder exceeds X?

Votes:

I have a sensor that monitors the file count in an FTP folder on one of our Windows servers. It works fine and always reports an accurate count.

I need to monitor a folder's contents (either or the Windows file system or in a specified FTP path) and to be notified (alerted) whenever the file count exceeds 0 during a given scan interval. How can I create a sensor to do this?

custom-sensor file-count ftp-files

Created on Apr 20, 2011 3:30:05 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

for the windows file system us the WMI File or the standard file sensor,

for the FTP server use the FTP file count sensor.

Once the sensors are created, go to the channels tab, enable limits for the File Count channel and enter your values.

Then you can create a state trigger for the sensor in the Notifications tab.

Created on Apr 21, 2011 9:56:28 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the quick reply. You're providing an excellent service to your customers!

Created on Apr 21, 2011 11:18:15 AM

Votes:

I know this is really old, but there is no longer a channels tab. i added this sensor, put a directory in for the path, but file count is not listed under the channels.

Is there a way to add this channel, or is it a different sensor now?

Created on May 27, 2014 9:03:13 PM

Votes:

The channels tab is no longer available in newer PRTG versions.

please check the manual on how to edit channels

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/sensor_channels_settings.htm

Created on May 28, 2014 12:37:27 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.