What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Tracking cumulative download stats on a home network

Votes:

I have the free version, I have a home network, I use comcast and I am restricted to 250 GB downloads per month. I installed the free version on 1 computer and it found all the computers on the network. How can I track download useage from all the computers and not just the one I installed it on? Look like a nice product, jsut rying to see if it will meet my needs. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks

download networking prtg traffic usage

Created on Mar 5, 2010 8:39:20 PM

Last change on Mar 8, 2010 4:08:32 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

To monitor the Internet traffic of your whole network, you have to configure a central Internet gateway. Only with a central node you can make sure that you capture all traffic that goes over your Internet line. On this network node, you can measure the Internet traffic.

Such a gateway could be a computer (e.g. a Windows machine) or a hardware device. It depends on your setup, how you will monitor the traffic with PRTG:

• You can monitor a Windows PC's traffic via WMI sensors, for example.
  • When using hardware (e.g. a router device), it must support SNMP or other interfaces you can set up a PRTG sensor for.
  • If your router has a monitoring port (usually this depends on the device's firmware), you can also use a Packet Sniffer sensor in PRTG and filter for specific traffic. This will enable you to monitor your traffic very precisely.
  • If your cable modem or router has a web interface, you can access it and check for certain keywords using an HTTP Advanced sensor. If this makes sense, depends on the information your device provides there.

Created on Mar 8, 2010 3:35:59 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 9, 2010 7:36:48 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.