What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Constantly have to restart remote probe

Votes:

About once a week, at completely random times, my remote probe service will crash and show everything down, which in turn sends out an e-mail and SMS for all 172 of my sensors being down. Once I go in and restart the remote probe service, everything shows as back up and I get all the pages that things are coming back up.

This has been happening for the last couple of versions I have ran of PRTG and it has not gotten any better when I upgrade; I am currently running 8.4.0.227. My probe computer monitors mostly pint, snmp, and wmi. The probe service is running on a P4 2.8 machine with 2GB of memory.

crash prtg remote-probe

Created on Apr 25, 2011 3:31:13 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Could you please forward us your system log files from this particular probe for analysis to [email protected]? You will find the log files within the data directory as defined under the "Core Server" tab of the "PRTG Server Administrator" tool, or in the following default paths:

XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\V7\Logs (System) Vista/2008/Windows 7: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\V7\Logs (System)

Please be aware that it might also be a 'V8'-folder.

best regards.

Created on Apr 26, 2011 12:04:29 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.