What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

can I use the SMS Gateway and HTTP Proxy together?

Votes:

I see that various SMS Gateways are supported; I've got a working subscription to Clickatell - so this looks good. However, I need to call the SMS gateway via an HTTP proxy. From what I can see, this is not possible.

I was able to create a HTTP POST notification using the HTTP Proxy - this works ok (although only BASIC auth works, any planned support for NTLM challenge/response?), but when trying an SMS Gateway notification the PRTG server simply ignores the HTTP proxy settings and tries to contact the SMS API directly (in my case using HTTPS direct to www.clickatell.com)

thanks PG

clickatell http https proxy sms

Created on Apr 26, 2011 10:18:30 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear Patrick,

PRTG does not support proxies for the direct SMS calls. Please ask you SMS provider for the specific URL (and eventual POST parameters) and create a "Custom HTTP notification" (which supports proxies).

best regards.

Created on Apr 27, 2011 9:48:06 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Torsten

Yes, I got the POST working as a Customer HTTP notification (via the proxy) - the drawback is that only BASIC proxy auth is supported, so the pw is in the clear.

I think i'll use direct (bypassing proxy) instead and the native SMS gateway provider functionality

thanks again Patrick

Created on May 9, 2011 3:07:18 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.