What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is it possible to create a multi-channel SNMP sensor, similar to the built-in bandwidth monitoring s

Votes:

I have a piece of MPEG video equipment that I am trying to monitor. The logical layout of the system is very similar to that of the built-in SNMP bandwidth monitoring tools; there are multiple virtual interfaces, each with multiple OIDs that I would like to monitor (errored seconds, lost packets, rate).

I have literally hundreds of these virtual interfaces to monitor, and I need to set up a system whereupon network operations personnel can easily add and remove them from the PRTG system.

So far, the only solution I see is to add multiple SNMP custom sensors and then build a Sensor factory on top to aggregate the data into multiple channels of a single sensor. This solution does not seem manageable when dealing with 200 devices and 800 or more virtual interfaces. I also know that I can create a batch file to do the queries, but this seems to be creating an awful lot of work for something that PRTG already does for bandwidth on router interfaces.

What I really want to do is to clone the router interface bandwidth sensor, and change the OIDs and names that are polled in the various channels. Is this possible?

custom multi-channel prtg snmp

Created on May 4, 2011 6:52:08 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm sorry but it's not possible to change the OIDs used by the SNMP Traffic Sensors. For this situation it really seems as the only option are SNMP Custom Sensors and the Sensor Factory. Or do you have MIBs from the vendor of the MPEG Equipment? You could also consider creating a device template once you've setup one of these devices and then use it with the Auto-Discovery to help adding sensors for other devices.

best regards.

Created on May 5, 2011 12:29:23 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I do have the MIBs for the MPEG equipment, however from what I can tell, even using the SNMP Library custom sensor I can still only attach one OID to each sensor. Is this still accurate? I would be happy enough creating these through the SNMP Library method if I could aggregate multiple OIDs under one sensor without having to go through the extra step of creating a Sensor factory for each virtual interface.

Will the device template intelligently create a Sensor Factory for each group of virtual interface OIDs, or will this still have to be done manually? Is there an easy way to hide the component sensors of a sensor factory?

thanks for your assistance

Created on May 5, 2011 2:03:12 PM

Votes:

Yes, the SNMP Library Sensors also only allow one 1 OID per Sensor. However, this will of course save you from creating SNMP Custom Sensors yourself with entering each OID yourself. I'm afraid the Sensor Factory Sensors will not be written into the templates (as they can't automatically "update" their definitions).

Created on May 5, 2011 2:10:31 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.