What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SQL server sensors not working

Votes:

HI guys, I get the following error when trying to use ANY of the SQL sensors:

Class(es) not found: "Win32_PerfRawData_MSSQLSERVER_SQLServerGeneralStatistics"

The same server has 25 other sensors all running fine (many of which are WMI), and I have used the SQL sensors successfully on other servers.

Any ideas?

prtg sql wmi

Created on May 8, 2011 7:01:03 AM

11 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

that might be a problem on the target hosts WMI, please see if you can fix it with any of the tips from our "WMI Repair"-article: WMI Repair List and please try the suggestions in this post.

best regards.

Created on May 9, 2011 1:41:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 16, 2014 9:49:11 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, I have already checked that list but this issue is not related to a WMI problem as many other sensors that are using WMI on the same box are working just fine.

I am only seeing this error with the SQL sensors on this one box.

Created on May 10, 2011 10:47:34 AM

Votes:

It still possible that only the WMI Classes for the SQL-Server are missing or not correctly set up, which the error-message kind of suggests "Class(es) not found: "

Created on May 10, 2011 1:51:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am having the exact same issue. Is there is a quick fix to get the WMI classes for SQL working? I know the proper services are running and I tried to execute the following command within the SQL server:

mofcomp "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"
Microsoft (R) MOF Compiler Version 6.0.6000.16386
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2006. All rights reserved.
Parsing MOF file: c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlmgmpr
oviderxpsp2up.mof
MOF file has been successfully parsed
Storing data in the repository...

Need help, very annoying.

Thanks! Done!

Created on Jun 20, 2011 8:13:44 PM

Last change on Oct 13, 2015 5:39:49 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Same issue here. SQL WMI counters working fine from PRTG Probe Server using PerfMon under the same credentials, but throws this error when used within PRTG.

Any suggestions?

Created on Jul 20, 2011 8:12:26 AM

Votes:

Same problem here! Cannot monitor my SQL Database!

Created on Jul 25, 2011 4:08:24 PM

Votes:

Our research shows some inconsistencies of how Microsoft is naming the classes depending on SQL Server Edition, Windows Version, Instancing. We're still investigating this matter.

However, if you want to help us in this case, please use Microsofts WBEMTest tool and try to find the classes concerning the MSSQLserver you want to monitor.

If successful please send your findings including a short description of your SQL Server System (SQL Server Edition, Windows Version, Instancing, Service Pack Levels etc.) to [email protected] - we appreciate any input.

Kind regards,

- Volker

Created on Jul 29, 2011 9:39:57 AM by  Volker Uffelmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I finally had time to dig into this a bit and the fix (for me) was quite simple...

The SQL instance naming scheme we use has underscores in it, apparently Windows removes the underscore when assigning the WMI class but PRTG doesn't.

My SQL server\instance look like this: ProdSQLSvr01\SQL_Instance_DB The WMI class needed to be manually set for: Win32_PerfRawData_MSSQLSQLINSTANCEDB_MSSQLSQLINSTANCEDB

Once I did this magic happened and it started working.

Created on Aug 29, 2013 2:17:33 PM

Votes:

A recent .NET update has broken this sensor for us. It was working until this update was applied to the system running SQL Server. Has anyone else experienced this?

Created on Sep 23, 2016 9:14:09 AM

Votes:

The 'recompile MOFs option' worked for me after a .NET update on the SQL server. Open a command prompt window (Run as Administrator) and change directory (cd) to %windir%\System32\wbem on 32bit Windows or %windir%\SysWOW64\wbem on 64bit Windows Enter the following commands: FOR /f %s in ('dir /b /s *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s Net stop /y winmgmt FOR /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %s Net start winmgmt

Created on Sep 23, 2016 10:04:30 AM

Last change on Sep 23, 2016 10:49:55 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Mark,

Great, thanks for sharing! Cheers!

Created on Sep 23, 2016 10:50:25 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.