What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to send notification for monitoring of non unicast packets?

Votes:

Hi,

In one of our networks we occasionally get broadcast storms because users loop ports in switches. I thought that I could use PRTG to monitor for broadcasts and send a notification when exceeding a certain amount of broadcasts. I have setup a sensor that shows non unicast packets. I can see both volume and packets per measurement interval. I would like to configure a notification when broadcast per measurement (speed) exceeds a certain amount but when I try to configure a notification I can only choose traffic in or out as a sensor. I can't choose to use my non unicast sensor. How can i configure so I can get a notification for this? If i monitor this will I automatically get an unusual traffic alarm if I get a storm? I am using PRTG 7.2.5.5114.

/Daniel

broadcast notification prtg

Created on Mar 8, 2010 10:57:26 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Created on Mar 8, 2010 1:08:38 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Last change on Mar 8, 2010 1:21:57 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.