What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Error sending "EXE": Error1 when sending SMS message

Votes:

We are using a Windows Server 2008 machine with PTRG installed.

To send SMS message we have connected a Nokia 2730 to the server and call on a batch script that runs Windows SMS Sender. This then sends an SMS message out of the phone attached to the server.

The batch script looks as follows:

@echo off
ping -n %4 -w 10000 127.0.0.1
start "SENDTEXT" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SMS Sender\SMSSender.exe\" /p:0271234567 /m:"The %1 test for %2 has the following status: %3"
ping -n 10 -w 10000 127.0.0.1
taskkill /im SMSSender.exe
exit

Currently we have PRTG monitoring a PING on a Printer. In the notifications tab of the PING I have set the action to call the "SMS Steve" notification, which in turn calls the above batch file.

I have set 0 repeats and no escalation. We have the PRTG services being run by an account that has sufficient administrative access.

When I put the printer PING into a "test error state" we recieve an SMS stating that the printer is down. Then another. And another. It repeats about 3 times and then stops. Once we "resume" the failed ping we get an SMS immediately stating that it is back up. But then we recieve an SMS stating that it is down. And then up. And then down. And then up again.

Upon check the logs it appears some attempts to send the SMS are met with an Error sending "EXE": Error1 message. I do not know what this means.

We have been using this batch script on another monitoing software for some time now without incident. Can anyone advise what or where I might configure PRTG to only send an SMS alert once and in the right order?

Thanks in advance.

batch error sms

Created on May 10, 2011 12:05:46 AM

Last change on May 10, 2011 1:31:08 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

please understand that we can only provide very limited support for Custom Scripts. Please try using 0 as an explicit exit code

exit 0

Maybe this does help.

best regards.

Created on May 10, 2011 2:42:58 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.