What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG to replace Cisco Works

Votes:

Hello,

a customer is looking for a replacement of his Cisco works and would like to switch to PRTG. His key aspects are as stated below. I'd like to know whether it's possible with PRTG or might be a feature in a future release.

- Identify the devices connected to a switch port. Showing a MAC Address or IP Address would be enough for the first step.

- Port assignment per VLAN. I could imagine this as a listing of all VLAN configured on a switch and then have one virtual device per VLAN containing the various ports across all switches assigned to that VLAN.

- Is it possible to add other commands to the context menu "device tools" of a device? We'd like to add a telnet connection for example.

kind regards, Christian

cisco-works mac-address telnet vlan

Created on May 10, 2011 3:28:19 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear Christian,

thank you very much for the interest in PRTG. To your questions:

• I'm afraid PRTG can't identify which MAC-Address is connected to a certain switch-port.
  • Again I'm sorry, but this is not possible as well. It might be though with a feature coming with PRTG 9, then with manually picking the sensors belonging to this "virtual device" representing the VLAN.
  • That's possible in the WinGUI of PRTG. You can configure new tools under "File"->"Options & Server Settings..."->"Tools".

best regards.

Created on May 10, 2011 4:08:13 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.