What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there an easy fix for interface table re-index problem on Cisco ASA firewalls?

Votes:

Last weekend we updated our Cisco ASA firewalls. When they came up they re-indexed the interfaces table and now we have incorrect data in all of our interface sensors. (worst part is a customer noticed before we did). I know this has come up in the past and always gets answered with "snmp-server ifindex persist". Unfortunately there is no equivalent command for the ASA. Short of re-naming all the sensors, changing all the associated monthly reports and losing a year's worth of accurate port data (which we promise our customers we will maintain), is there a way to change the index #s that PRTG is using to query the the firewall? The interface number under the settings tab is greyed out and does not allow editing. If I could edit this number all of my problems would be solved (except for the week's worth of invalid data in all the sensor's now).

If that's not possible is it possible to massage the database to move around all the historical data to be under the correct (new) sensor index? Avoiding this problem in the first place, and being able to correct the data when it does, are two highly critical capabilities that are keeping us from completely removing Solar Winds Orion from our network. We do not want Orion, we do not like Orion but we absolutely need Orion when things like this happen.

database interface-index snmp

Created on May 16, 2011 3:03:58 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Jim,

you can edit the interface numbers in the Configuration file. They are stored in the 'interfacenumber'-tag just in the sensor definition in the config file (I'm sure you know how to edit that one). Moving/Changing the sensor data is not possible. Sorry.

best regards.

Created on May 16, 2011 5:37:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 16, 2011 5:39:36 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, that's what I ended up doing. Since that method is not officially supported, and since earlier posts indicted that a fix for this was in the works, I thought I'd check to see if this had been addressed yet.

On reflection, I think being able to edit the "interfacenumber" directly in the settings tab would be a good option until something automatic is developed (like keying on the ifDesc or ifAlias fields which won't change over a reboot or prompting the user to select which is correct if more than one value changed). While this can be dangerous, I think mucking about in the .dat file is a tad more dangerous.

Created on May 16, 2011 5:51:08 PM

Votes:

Hello all

I've recently changed the config file to represent an interface's new ifindex number. The change was a success and I'm now able to see traffic monitoring again.

But when I look at the switch and see all its associated interface graphs, the graph for the interface still has a red background instead of the default white colour.

Is there a way to change this in the config file as it apparently does not correct itself.

Thank you in advance.

Created on Mar 20, 2012 9:39:12 AM

Votes:

Jesper, are you by any chance referring to PRTG Traffic Grapher 6? As PRTG 9 (or 8 or 7) can't change the background color of a graph.

Created on Mar 20, 2012 1:54:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.