What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

More detail on Setting up Wildcard Cert for PRTG network monitor v8

Votes:

I am running PRTG on a Windows 7 / IIS 7 server and I have an existing Wildcard Cert that I would like to apply to PRTG web. The instructions found at the link below are very vague. The Wildcard cert I have, has an extension of .pfx. I do not know how to decript this file, nor do I know how to create the following files.

• prtg7.crt (the certificate of your server)
  • root.pem (the root certificates of the issuer)
  • prtg7.key (pivate key of your server, decrypted)

Referenced KB: https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/283-how-can-i-use-a-trusted-ssl-certificate-with-the-prtg-web-interface

certificate prtg secure ssl wildcard

Created on May 17, 2011 5:57:04 PM

Last change on May 18, 2011 9:11:45 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PRTG's built-in Apache webserver needs certificate files in the according format. Please convert your certificate files to PEM encoding.

You can do this by either using OpenSSL or online tools such as SSLShopper SSL Converter.

We recommend you take a look into PRTG's existing certificate files in the \cert sub folder of your program directory to get an idea of how the final files should look like.

Please understand we can only give general guidelines for this, as the procedures to follow vary with the different certificate providers. In the article you linked in your question above you will find step-by-step instructions for selected providers which you can adapt to fit your own.

Created on May 18, 2011 9:11:30 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on May 18, 2011 9:12:19 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Thank you for the reply. Using SSLShopper SSL Converter did the trick.

Created on May 18, 2011 4:29:23 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.