What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

sniffing

Votes:

Hi,

Somebody change between old and new PRTG for packet sniffing headers ? I want to monitor mail server, and check headers for pop and smtp protocols. Until the V7.1.4.3417 it' runing very well, now width the 8.4.1.2282 (new server) it doesn't find datas, I've taken the good IP to sniffing and do it in the local probe, any idea ?

header packet sniffing

Created on May 18, 2011 10:34:31 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

the Packet Sniffer was not changed between PRTG 7 and PRTG 8. Do you have a grey sensor with PRTG 8?

Best regards.

Created on May 18, 2011 1:53:16 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, only grey.

Created on May 18, 2011 1:55:12 PM

Votes:

Is this a normal packet sniffer sensor? Or a custom sniffer?

Created on May 18, 2011 2:51:56 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Normal, it's writen in my first answer : SNMP packet sniffing (only for headers)

Created on May 18, 2011 2:53:58 PM

Votes:

There is no "SNMP Packet Sniffing Sensor". In anyway, if the sensor is grey, and shows no data, this simply means that PRTG can't listen on the NIC.

Created on May 18, 2011 4:42:21 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

can we discuss width email plz, I send you admin codes to check why It doesn't work ?

Created on May 18, 2011 5:17:02 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.