What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor systems running LINUX and UNIX with PRTG?

Votes:

I have a PRTG Unlimited license.

How do I configure PRTG for LINUX and UNIX? I managed to add a device for a Linux system in my PRTG web interface successfully. But now I need help how to monitor CPU and memory usage.

Please let me know.

linux prtg snmp

Created on Mar 9, 2010 2:36:41 AM

Last change on Mar 16, 2010 8:51:44 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This artcile applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12 or later, as well as to previous (deprecated) versions

Monitoring a Linux/Unix Machine With PRTG

Steps to do:

1. On your Linux/Unix machine, please install SNMP daemon.
  2. In PRTG, add a "device" for your Linux/Unix machine and
  3. create an SNMP Library sensor on it (select Basic linux library from the drop-down).

For detailed instructions, please refer to this article.

Please see also How do I monitor system parameters like memory, CPU and disks on Linux systems via SNMP? for more information.

Native Sensors

PRTG also includes several SSH sensor, allowing monitoring Linux systems via SSH. For more details, please see the user manual at List of Available Sensor Types: Linux/Unix/OS X Sensors.

Created on Mar 9, 2010 7:29:18 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Dec 4, 2013 5:46:15 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear I have several hp-ux(11.23) system. i made a script for CPU Sensor on HP-UX. the script was worked very well with PRTG. just two machines has been encountered an errror as like : "No valid result from SSH Shell" So, i tried to set for the sensor : Write result to disk (Filename: "Result of Sensor [ID].txt") By the way, it is not in there. How can i do it?

Created on Mar 7, 2013 7:06:02 AM

Votes:

Hi,

normally this error-message indicates that the shell-timeout for the sensor is set too low. Please try to increase the shell-timeout in the sensor setting.

Kind regards...

Created on Mar 7, 2013 2:58:10 PM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.