What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can custom tags be inherited from groups when a new device or sensor is added?

Votes:

We are running 4 probes with over 6800 sensors. We are trying to create custom maps for each probe with alarm tables that reflect only the alarms for that probe. First, is there an easy way to filter the alarms table by parent probe?

I'm guessing there is not so we are trying to use the map's tag filter feature. Unfortunately this feature only seems to filter on sensor tags (and not device or groups) and since there is no way to edit all the sensors at once without removing all the existing tags we will need to visit each of the 6800 sensors to get the filters working properly. Second, is there any easy way to add a tag to thousands of sensors without deleting the previous tags?

Finally, if we decide to move forward and touch each of the sensors, is there a way to ensure that each and every device or sensor added under the probe (or sub group) inherits the custom map filter tag?

inheritance maps tags

Created on May 23, 2011 3:07:31 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear Jim,

tags are inherited. So if you set one on group level, all child-devices and sensors will inherit the tag (new ones as well of course). You just don't see the tag explicitly in the settings of the child-objects.

best regards.

Created on May 23, 2011 4:54:59 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I've tried setting a custom tag at the probe level, group level and device level but it does not work as a tag filter for a map unless I manually set the tag at the sensor level. Is this the intended behavior?

Created on May 23, 2011 4:57:53 PM

Votes:

I've just tried it (with 8.4.1), a tag on group level worked (as intended) fine as the "Tag filter" setting in a map with the "Down Sensors Table"-map object. Only down sensors from this group were in the table (not from any other group, were I also have down sensors).

Created on May 23, 2011 5:13:44 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

With an alarms table I can say for absolute certainty that the tag filter is severely broken in 8.3.0.2022. I set a tag on a group with 2 downs, 14 warnings and 23 unusuals. Without the tag filter set all of these warnings show up in the table. With the filter set on the map the table has only one unusual and none of the downs, warnings or other unusuals.

I'll try an upgrade and see if it gets fixed then report back here.

Created on May 25, 2011 1:57:50 PM

Votes:

We upgraded to the latest version over the weekend and nope, the tag filter is still broken. We have out local probe, a cluster probe and three other remote probes. In "tags" setting of the local probe and the cluster probe there is one tag: dws. I have confirmed through a tag search that this tag does not exist on any other probe, group, device or sensor. However when I type "dws" (no quotes) into the tag filter of our NOC map I still see errors, warnings and unusuals of other probes which should be inherit this tag.

What else can we try?

Created on Jul 18, 2011 8:58:31 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.