What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I activate sFlow on a HP ProCurve 28xx / 53xx series switch?

Votes:

I need help activating sFlow on a HP ProCurve 2800 or 5300 series switch.

activate configuration hp prtg sflow switch xflow

Created on Mar 9, 2010 2:38:52 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 9, 2010 2:41:21 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Activating sFlow on HP ProCurve 28xx

Please see http://www.plixer.com/blog/general/how-do-i-enable-sflow-on-my-hp-procurve-2800-series-switch/ for detailed instructions.

For instructions in German, please see http://hilfedatenbank.de/2009/09/08/sflow-aktivieren/

Created on Mar 9, 2010 2:40:35 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Sep 10, 2013 1:57:01 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any chance of building this functionality into PRTG based on uptime? I.e. If a switch reboots, a PRTG probe reads the uptime and correspondingly sends an SNMP set to enable sFlow again. This also applies to the 2610 series as well I believe.

Created on Mar 19, 2010 12:42:37 PM

Votes:

Dear Adria,

it should be possible to do this yourself already:

• read the uptime from the switch using a SNMP Uptime sensor
  • configure a Threshold Trigger on the System Uptime, so that if the uptime is below 300s (for example) a Notification will be triggered
  • use a batch-script for this notification which will send the SNMP Set to the switch to enable sflow again.

Best Regards.

Created on Mar 19, 2010 1:59:58 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

When i try with: setmib sFlowRcvrOwner.1 D scrut sFlowRcvrTimeout.1 i 100000000

It said that: -D invalid value.

My switch is Hp ProCurve 5406zl. This is the first time i enable Sflow so i don't know what to do?

Please help me configure this

thanks and best regards, phu

Created on Jul 5, 2011 3:08:12 AM

Votes:

Tidusbmt "When i try with: setmib sFlowRcvrOwner.1 D scrut sFlowRcvrTimeout.1 i 100000000

It said that: -D invalid value."

If you look that string, you can see that "-" sign is missing from front of D. I noticed the same error and seems that when you copy the string, it doesn't copy the whole line completely.

Could this sflow configuration be implemented into PRTG? I mean, why the PRTG doesn't do everything for us? :)

Created on Jan 4, 2012 1:08:11 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.