What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I set up notifications for interface up/down & send them to different groups?

Votes:

I am currently using Solar Winds Orion and I want to move to your PRTG Network Monitor program. We have a variety of alerts based on interface up/down changes, device up/down, threshold notifications, and some devices that are primarily down, but we are notified when they are up, and then go down again. There are different groups of people that need to be notified for different subsets of these. I have my equipment grouped logically, but the people that need to be notified cross these "boundaries". So as a higher level explanation - for interface changes, I get notified when all *significant* interfaces change. The server group is notified when the server interfaces change, the telecom guys get notfied on a change in their interface status. To further differentiate it, the telecom guys have servers too, and they only want alerts for their servers, not all servers. Sometimes the server interfaces are found accross my equipment group boundaries. And not all interfaces that are monitored need to have alerts generated when there is a change in status. I think if you can help me do this, then I can figure out the rest of the notifications that I have setup as well. I just can't wrap my mind around how to set all of this up and I've read the manual, but I'm missing a piece somewhere. Oh! And I am generating and receiving alerts based on up/down status of the equipment so the basics are there, it's just less typical stuff.

Thank you for your help!

custom-notification notifications prtg8

Created on May 26, 2011 8:57:20 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

we would recommend to work with different user groups in PRTG here for each of the different groups of recipients. With each user group PRTG creates a notification "Email for all members of the user group...", you could this then use for triggers for the specific events (when user group 1 should be notified, and on another occasion group 2, etc.). It might be possible for some events to use the inheriting of triggers (so that you can create the triggers on group or device level), but it also might be necessary to define the triggers on sensor level.

best regards.

Created on May 30, 2011 1:20:55 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.