What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor other SQL Servers through ADO with PRTG?

Votes:

I want to monitor other SQL servers than Microsoft SQL, Oracle or mySQL. How can I do this?

ado custom-exe custom-script-exe custom-sensor google-code powershell prtg script sql

Created on Mar 9, 2010 3:00:28 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 19, 2015 3:46:11 PM by  Martina Wittmann [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Important note: The information in the article below is outdated and shown for reference purposes only. Please use the ADO SQL v2 sensor (available as of PRTG version 16.2.24) to monitor databases using an ADO connection.

Monitoring (Almost) Any SQL Server Through ADO with PRTG Network Monitor

Using a custom EXE sensor script for PRTG you can monitor any SQL server using ActiveX Data Objects (ADO) and the PowerShell scripting language.

There are two usage scenarios for this script:

• Using this script you will be able to monitor any data source with PRTG that is accessible through ADO, including many database servers (e.g. SQL Server, Oracle, IBM DB2, MySQL, Sybase, Informix, Interbase, Firebird) as well as data files (Excel, Access, SQlite, Foxpro, Filemaker). Even Sharepoint, MS Project, Active Directory and Exchange are possible.
  • Although PRTG has built-in native sensors for the most used databases (Microsoft, MySQL and Oracle SQL servers) it can sometimes be helpful to use the ADO interface for monitoring.

How to do it

• First you need the "connection string" which tells ADO where and how to connect. The website http://www.connectionstrings.com/ offers predefined connections string for over 50 different data sources.
  • For Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 R1: Download and install PowerShell on the machine that will run the script (your core server or a system running the associated probe). PowerShell is already included in Windows 7 and 2008 R2.
  • Download the script Demo Powershell Script - Connecting to database with ADO.ps1 from the PRTG Addons Google Code project and place it into the following folder either on your PRTG core installation (if you want to use the LocalProbe) or on a Remote Probe System. Note: The script as well the Google Code project are deprecated and not available anymore! \prtg network monitor\custom sensors\exe
  • Edit the settings in the "Parameters" section of the ps1 file for your needs.
  • In PRTG's web interface: create a new Custom EXE Sensor and select the filename mentioned above.

That's it, you should now see the sensor's results.

Security Issues

It's a good practice to not enter passwords, parameters, etc. directly into your script. Instead, you can use the parameter field in PRTG to hand over these values to your script when calling it.

Information about signing Powershell scripts and the Execution Policy for scripts can be found in the following external resources:

See Also

How do I correctly configure credentials for ADO SQL sensors?

Created on Mar 9, 2010 3:31:12 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on May 12, 2016 12:36:31 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

it's still possible to get that demo script? I can't find in the link above :/ Or is it now better way how to monitor Firebird database?

Thanks for reply.

Created on May 12, 2016 9:49:52 AM

Votes:

Hi,

we recommend that you use the ADO SQL v2 sensor to monitor databases via an ADO connection.

Because PRTG includes an ADO SQL sensor out of the box, the script in the article above is deprecated and not available anymore.

Regards,

Created on May 12, 2016 12:32:08 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear I can use this sensor, but I cant't find in sensor list. It's not in Database target system type and it's not in list when I try to look for "ADO" or "SQL". My version of PRTG Network Monitor is 16.2.23.3269.

Created on May 17, 2016 7:39:22 AM

Votes:

Dear Sk1X1

This sensor type is available with 16.2.24 or higher. Please update to 16.2.24 stable.

Created on May 17, 2016 9:37:17 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.