What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

DNS sensor

Votes:

Dear all

I am facing an issue that I want to create a DNS sensor on a remote probe, on PRTG Network monitor (8.3.0.2022). I checked it with a Wireshark, there is no traffic coming from this probe to the network. In the sensor, I always get the error "Connection reset by peer Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. (socket error # 10054)".

In parallel, I crated a HTTP sensor for checking a website, this works perfect.

Do you have an idea?

Thank you Markus Albisser

dns error sensor

Created on Jun 1, 2011 2:07:39 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hallo,

please create a PRTG device first. In the "IP Address/DNS Name" field, enter the address of the computer/device the DNS service is running on. Then, add a DNS Sensor to this device. The sensor will automatically take the "IP Address/DNS Name" value from its parent device to monitor the DNS service.

Created on Jun 3, 2011 8:04:03 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 7, 2011 12:47:45 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.