What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Does the packet sniffer only show data captured over 1 second every 60 or a total of the past 60 sec

Votes:

I am trying to figure out if the data shown every minute is just what's captured for that second or is PRTG actually running a packet sniffer to a log file, and PRTG just analyzes it once every 60 seconds and generates the results? I would imagine setting it to anything less than 30 might have an effect on performance since it would be analyzing this file constantly. Please let me know, I really love the product but that's one question I can't seem to get answered.

bandwidth packet-sniffer packet-sniffing prtg

Created on Jun 2, 2011 6:57:25 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

the Packet Sniffer does not do sampling. So the full 60 seconds are captured.

best regards.

Created on Jun 3, 2011 11:51:32 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.