What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Read only user - access to Toplists

Votes:

Hi. I have a read only user, with access to one specific remote probe and all of the devices/sensors monitored by that probe.

They have a Netflow sensor, but when they attempt to access the Toplists view they do not see the pie chart that is related to the viewed data, they only see the data tables. There is a rotating "Ajax" (or something) image, as though the data is being prepared for view, but it never appears. This behaviour is the same in IE, Firefox, etc.

If I make the user account to read/write, then the pie charts display correctly. How do I resolve this without making the user read/write?

Thanks Ian

display toplist user

Created on Jun 15, 2011 11:32:42 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I ran into this problem a few months ago. I ended up making all users read/write users and created different groups with permissions as I needed. Like:

• User* *UserType* *Group* USER1 | Read/Write | AdminGroup USER2 | Read/Write | ReadOnlyGroup

Then I would give the groups the appropriate rights to the sensors...

• Sensor* | *Group* | *Rights* Dallas, TX | AdminGroup | Read/Write
ReadOnlyGroupRead

San Jose, CA| AdminGroup | Read/Write

ReadOnlyGroupRead

With it setup like this, the pie chart stopped its continuous loading and actually showed the chart to read-only users.

Created on Jul 14, 2011 3:54:39 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear Ian,

thank you for bringing this up! The PIE Chart should be shown, we will investigate this!

best regards.

Created on Jun 15, 2011 3:23:58 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I ran into this problem a few months ago. I ended up making all users read/write users and created different groups with permissions as I needed. Like:

• User* *UserType* *Group* USER1 | Read/Write | AdminGroup USER2 | Read/Write | ReadOnlyGroup

Then I would give the groups the appropriate rights to the sensors...

• Sensor* | *Group* | *Rights* Dallas, TX | AdminGroup | Read/Write
ReadOnlyGroupRead

San Jose, CA| AdminGroup | Read/Write

ReadOnlyGroupRead

With it setup like this, the pie chart stopped its continuous loading and actually showed the chart to read-only users.

Created on Jul 14, 2011 3:54:39 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.