What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I get the ip address to update automatically?

Votes:

I have a handful of comptuers that have changed IP addressed overnight (using DHCP) and now they are throwing errors becuase PRTG is still trying to access the computer at the old address. The DHCP and DNS server have the updated names and ip address in their lists but PRTG does not seem to update.

devices ip prtg

Created on Jun 22, 2011 6:12:44 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid this is not possible, PRTG can't update the IPs automatically. Please try to use the host-names in PRTG.

best regards

Created on Jun 22, 2011 6:50:31 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK, I will use the hosts names. Why does PRTG enter IPs in the "IP Address/DNS Name" field instead of hostnames in most of the devices it auto discovered? For example, it found 40 devices, but only 5 of them have the host name listed the other have the IP.

Created on Jun 22, 2011 6:58:21 PM

Votes:

PRTG can only enter a host-name during the auto-discovery if it is able to resolve the IP with reverse-DNS-lookup into a host-name.

Created on Jun 22, 2011 7:17:09 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.