What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

docsIfCmtsChannelUtUtilization OID & PRTG

Votes:

I'm trying to import a OID (1.3.6.1.2.1.10.127.1.3.9.1.3­) from DOCS-IF-MIB.my that I have downloaded from Cisco. (It is for a UBR10k Broadband Gateway device.) In that MIB, I have "docsIfCmtsChannelUtUtilization" that I'm needing to add a sensor, but that option does not show up anywhere in my importer when it is done. My log file reads as:

Report for C:\Users\129NP\Desktop\Compiled MIBs\DOCS-IF-MIB.my: Sucessfully included files: 7 of 7 Sucessfully imported OIDs: 177 of 177 OIDs that were useful for PRTG: 174

Is it possible that one of these 'three missing' is the OID that I need? If that is the case, is there any way to find out why this particular one isn't usable by the PRTG?

cisco docs-if-mib ubr10k

Created on Jun 22, 2011 7:44:47 PM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

in the moment String-, Trap- and Table-Counters are not imported by the MIB-Importer, and it'S likely that these three OIDs are either of the three. You could however try manually setting up a SNMP Custom String or a Trap Sensor, if the 'missing' OID is one of those types.

best regards.

Created on Jun 23, 2011 8:00:48 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks so much for the reply. I appreciate it greatly.

I'm fairly new to this. I've learned enough to import MIBs and add sensors to other things, such as as our Upstream bandwidth, utilization, and counters for our CMTS.

However, when trying to add a custom string or Trap sensor, I'm a still a little wet behind the ears here. Are there any help topics available in the support base here that can walk me through (or give me a general idea) of how to add one of these custom strings / trap sensors?

Created on Jun 23, 2011 1:27:56 PM

Votes:

Nevermind, I figured it out! It wasn't hard at all... just had to make sure I had the RIGHT value in the OID field and it is now working!

So, my question is this: I'm noticing that using this method, I can't have it send me alerts when it hits a certain value. (Like I can with my upstream ports.) Is there anyway to get that working? (I'm using the SMNP custom string value.)

Created on Jun 23, 2011 1:39:56 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid with the String Sensor a limit-check is not possible.

Created on Jun 23, 2011 1:42:02 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No, but I just now realized that the custom strings will allow me to do 'channel limits', which is EXACTLY what we are using for our upstream ports, so that is perfect! Thanks so much for all your help.

Created on Jun 23, 2011 2:15:23 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.