What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Question about VMware Virtual Machine sensors

Votes:

I'm using VMware Virtual Machine sensors to monitor the virtual servers on our ESXi's. How can I monitor free disk space on my virtual servers using these sensors? The only channels I could find are for disk activity, none for free space.

sensor virtual-machine vmware

Created on Jun 24, 2011 12:55:26 PM

7 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

to see the free disk space inside a VM it's necessary to add the VM as a device and then add an according sensor (for example WMI Disk Space if it's a Windows VM), because the ESX(i) might not always know the file-format of the VM and therefor might not be able to even say anything about the usage.

best regards.

Created on Jun 24, 2011 3:01:01 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Is it still the case now? Is there a way to monitor free disk space of VMs linked to the VCenter?

Best regards.

Created on Aug 1, 2017 2:55:44 PM

Votes:

I'm very much afraid this is still the same. No changes here. If you need to monitor free disk space in a VM, it is necessary to add the VM as a device in PRTG and then monitor it from the "inside" with WMI, SSH, SNMP, according to the type of OS running on it.

Created on Aug 2, 2017 7:21:42 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So if you have like 200 VMs, you can use a device template to get all the sensors for each VMs, ut you have t ocreate all of them one by one by adding a device?

Created on Aug 2, 2017 7:49:52 AM

Votes:

Using a device template is a very good idea. You can combine it with an Auto-Discovery on a list of IPs / hostnames. That would save you creating each device one by one manually.

Created on Aug 2, 2017 11:00:16 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I need to do the same thing in a multi-tenant setup. Do I need to add a probe inside every customers container to make this work?

Created on Oct 17, 2018 12:34:06 PM

Votes:

No you don't need Remote Probes in each VM/Container. If they respond to normal SNMP/WMI/etc. queries from a Probe somewhere in the network, it will just work fine without Remote Probes inside each "machine".

Created on Oct 18, 2018 7:49:03 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.