What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Multiple changes to sensors

Votes:

Hello,

I have read in this kb that it is not possible to make every PING sensor the master object for parent (Which would be a very handy feature by the way). As well, I have also read that it is not possible to change templates once created (Also would be a handy feature, very surprised this is not an option, it seems to easy to implement).

I need to change a large amount of PING sensors to master object for parent, forgot to include that in the device templates (these sensors are on multiple devices with different templates). How can I make these changes without having to go into each sensor and adjusting it one at a time? I considered creating a new template but then all of my sensors just double up and more time is spent deleting the cloned sensors.

Any kind of batch change suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

master-object modify-templates ping

Created on Jun 29, 2011 8:12:25 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

the dependency-setting is disabled in the Multi-Edit to avoid the creation of dependency loops, which can very easily happen with this. Unfortunately in this case it really is the best (and most important, safest) way to go to each Ping sensor to and change it to be master for parent object individually. A batch-script or similar (or even editing the configuration file) is not really possible nor recommend, as the "Master"-setting actually consists of more than one "flag" or setting on the Ping sensor.

best regards

Created on Jun 30, 2011 5:25:52 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.