What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Win GUI Chrome

Votes:

I have PRTG Win GUI loaded on a Windows 7 computer with Google Chrome. When I open Options and select "Select external Browser" I cannot select "Use Chrome" even though I have Chrome installed. The version of Chrome installed is 12.0.742.112. What is the test that the Win GUI performs to determine if it will display the option to select Chrome or not?

chrome not-recognized win-gui

Created on Jul 1, 2011 12:02:42 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

we are unable to reproduce this, with the latest version of PRTG 8.4.2, which one are you using?

best regards.

Created on Jul 1, 2011 12:11:21 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have an evaluation version 8.4.2.2356 downloaded Wednesday. This is happening on multiple computers in our organization. All running Windows 7 with IE 9 and Chrome (also downloaded yesterday) installed.

Thanks for your assistance.

Created on Jul 1, 2011 12:18:05 PM

Votes:

Hi,

I am running version 8.4.2.2356 with Chrome version 12.0.742.112. This problem is reproducible on all Windows 7 workstations we install the Windows GUI on. We have tested this on four different workstations (three laptops and a desktop) all with the same result, we can not select Chrome.

Thanks

Created on Jul 6, 2011 12:38:11 AM

Votes:

The solution turned out to be pretty simple. Chrome does not appear in default programs until it is made the default browser. Make Chrome the default browser. Set PRTG to use Chrome, which it can now see. Launch Default Programs and set whatever browser you want to be the default, in my case IE 9. Launch Chrome and tell it not to ask again about being the default browser. PRTG retains Chrome as the browser to launch from the Windows GUI.

I think this is a bug that should be fixed, but the work around is simple once you know what to do.

Created on Jul 13, 2011 12:46:57 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.