What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

reports of used disk space

Votes:

I would like to make monthly reports of used space on shares or volumes. Ik can make reports of available free space but don't know do make a list of used space. I tag my sensors with department names for example accounting.

Then I create a report with the tags accounting giving me an overview of all free space of all accounting shares/volumes.That works.

Beside that I would also like to make a report that gives an overview of used space.But I don't know how to do that.

These 2 reports can give me a complete overview of our storage across all departments.

The report would look like this:

share: accounting used :60 GB

prtg reports used-space

Created on Mar 10, 2010 4:07:30 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Ok you may close this;because I found a solution.

use in snmp the common OID paessler libary and you will have the choice of using used space amongst other usefull things.

Solution has been found

Created on Mar 11, 2010 9:28:14 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

If used space counters are not available, what is possible is to use Sensor Factory sensors by defining the total disk space and substracting the free space therefrom. You can then generate a report using these Sensor Factory sensors.

Created on Mar 10, 2010 4:15:30 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Last change on Mar 10, 2010 4:19:53 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Thanks.

The values for the free space If have already. In which sensor can I find the total disk space ? (I presume it is in one of the default sensors of windows 2003 R2 ? WMI ?)

When I have the value of the total diskspace I will be able to use sensor factory to make the substraction.

Thank you,

Johan

Created on Mar 10, 2010 4:41:45 PM

Votes:

don't you already know the size of the available space so that you can use it in the sensor factory?

Does your available disk space change that often/fast?

Created on Mar 10, 2010 5:23:37 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm looking for a sensor that gives me the used space on a volume/share. If you create a report over 1 week you can tell the management 2 things:

- How much the storage is being used overall and how does it changes - How much free storage is still available.

This can be very usefull information to get a complete overview of the storage-utilisation in the company.

The sensor which gives me free space is no problem;it is just that I'm looking for a sensor which gives me the value of the used space on a volume/share.

Thank you.

Created on Mar 11, 2010 8:12:00 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Ok you may close this;because I found a solution.

use in snmp the common OID paessler libary and you will have the choice of using used space amongst other usefull things.

Solution has been found

Created on Mar 11, 2010 9:28:14 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.