What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ping sensor email notification

Votes:

I have ping sensors on all my main servers and would like a notification sent to me only if it has not been able to ping the server for 10 minutes. I have been able to set notifications when the sensor state changes but I don't want an email every time a server reboots. I just want to know if it is down hard.

Can you tell me how to set this up?

notifications ping sensor

Created on Jul 5, 2011 10:17:50 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

I'm afraid it isn't possible to define a notification based on a specific failure timespan. The closest you can get is to add a latency to the notification (can be 10 minutes). This way, you would only get a notification after the specified amount of time. Since PRTG checks again before sending the notification in case you would only be informed if the issue persists after the time defined for the latency.

Created on Jul 6, 2011 11:57:41 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

This can be done using the escalated notification.

The escalated notification however only works after a "normal" notification. So the trick is to set up a fake "normal" notification (eg a batch notification that writes a single character to a text file) and have the escalated notification (set to 10 min) send the actual email.

If the sensor returns to an OK state within the 10 minutes, the escalated notification will not be send.

Created on Jul 6, 2011 7:23:52 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.