What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Unable to discover interfaces for Fortigate firewall

Votes:

Hi,

I had PRTG configured to monitor the traffic of our fortigate firewall for some time. The server was then switch off for a few months and now I have powered it back up again, it does not seen to be able to detect the interfaces on the firewall. I get 'No Such Name (SNMP error # 2)' error.

I have tried reinstalling PRTg on another server but when I try and perform an auto descovery, non of the interfaces are found.

Please help!

Alex

auto-discovery fortigate snmp-traffic

Created on Jul 6, 2011 12:50:45 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I'm afraid then you can only try with our SNMP Tester to scan against the Fortigate (with the option Scan available standard interfaces), and "play" with the "Single Get", "Slow Tweak", "Force 32bit" Options.

Created on Jul 7, 2011 2:02:19 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear Alex,

I'm afraid it might not work as you'd like, seeing as Fortigate only seems to offer very few numeric counters: https://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/17773-how-to-configure-fortigate-snmp-traffic-in-prtg

best regards.

Created on Jul 6, 2011 2:38:24 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your reply.

The counters must be there for the SNMP traffic sensor as it was all working perfectly a few month ago.

Is there any other way to descover the interfaces?

Also, I converted one of the fortigate MIB's which sucessfully monitors CPU usage so this proved connectivity.

Alex

Created on Jul 6, 2011 3:25:38 PM

Votes:

Have you tried simply adding the sensors manually again?

Created on Jul 6, 2011 6:22:54 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I have yes. when I go to add the SNMP Traffic sensor, non of the interfaces are listed as options.

Thanks,

Alex

Created on Jul 7, 2011 8:44:09 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I'm afraid then you can only try with our SNMP Tester to scan against the Fortigate (with the option Scan available standard interfaces), and "play" with the "Single Get", "Slow Tweak", "Force 32bit" Options.

Created on Jul 7, 2011 2:02:19 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I found the SNMP tester very useful, thanks for letting me know about it.

I managed to resolve the issue... rebooted the firewall!

An annoying fix, but a fix non the less!

Thanks,

Alex

Created on Jul 8, 2011 9:02:46 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.