What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Are notifications send when notification pause ends

Votes:

I would like to pause sending notifications during the night. However I would like to be notified of any down sensors in the morning. E.g. their is no need to send SMSs if a server reboots at 03:00 am, however if something is still down at 05:30 am I would like to be notified.

I have the feeling that if I use notification shedules, I will *not* be notified of sensors that went down before the start time of a schedule. Is this assumption correct? If it is, are their any other way to accomplish the above?

notifications prtg schedule

Created on Jul 6, 2011 8:50:25 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We have solved this problem using escalations. By putting a 15 minute escalation on the trigger we can put the notification on a schedule (pause during the night, no "postpone" checked) and although we won't get a primary alert when the pause schedule ends, we will get an escalation usually within 3 minutes of the notification becoming active.

Very useful.

Created on Aug 1, 2011 3:25:30 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

this can be configured with the Postpone-setting. If postpone is disabled, all notifications during a scheduled pause (of the notification) will be disregarded. Otherwise they will be sent when the pause ends.

best regards.

Created on Jul 7, 2011 1:30:11 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Reading the description for the Postpone-settings is seems to me that this is not quite what I want. Postpone would mean that the triggered notifications are send anyway when the pause ends, regardless of the current status of the sensor. Or am I reading this incorrectly?

Best regards,

Niels

Created on Jul 7, 2011 2:54:03 PM

Votes:

Dear Niels, yes this is correct, but I'm afraid there is no other option.

Created on Jul 7, 2011 3:17:16 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Niels,

You could write yourself a custom sensor that:

• Runs every 5 minutes.
  • Only really does its stuff after let’s say 08:00 and only once a day.
  • Reports an overview of all down sensors of that moment.

Created on Jul 19, 2011 10:33:19 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We have solved this problem using escalations. By putting a 15 minute escalation on the trigger we can put the notification on a schedule (pause during the night, no "postpone" checked) and although we won't get a primary alert when the pause schedule ends, we will get an escalation usually within 3 minutes of the notification becoming active.

Very useful.

Created on Aug 1, 2011 3:25:30 PM

Votes:

Thank you all for the answers. I will give the escalation option a try.

Created on Aug 8, 2011 11:25:26 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.