What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remove Cluster & Add New Master Node

Votes:

I have a 2 node cluster PRTG install. I need to remove my failover node, install a new master node and convert the old master node to the failover node.

How can I accomplish this? From what I found, I need to convert to a standalone install, then move my install, then install a cluster. Is that correct? Any tips?

Thanks

cluster remove swap-cluster-nodes swap-nodes

Created on Jul 8, 2011 9:04:53 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Benjamin,

this is actually a bit tricky. You can install a new master on a new PC/Server and then move the configuration from the old master node, but this will unfortunately create a "GID-Conflict", because the new master has a different GID (the GID is created during the setup-process) as the old one (which is stored in the configuration file). So once the new master is running, you need to take the following actions:

• Stop the PRTG Server Service with the PRTG Administration Tool
  • Once the Service is stopped, please close the Server Admin Tool
  • Open the PRTG Configuration File, and search for <optionnode id="810">
    (in previous versions: "<optionnode id="805">")
  • Copy the GID that comes in the tag <cell row="0" col="1"> under this node
  • Open the registry and go to:
(64bit) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Server\Core
(32bit) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Server\Core
  • There open the value "ClusterGid" and paste in the value copied from the config file. It has a format like this: {AAAAAAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD-EEEEEEEEEEEE}
  • Save this, and restart the PRTG Server Service

That should take care of the GID conflict. To convert the old master then to failover is simple, just switch the cluster mode to failover and "join the new cluster".

best regards.

Created on Jul 11, 2011 12:44:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 6, 2014 3:09:23 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can't I simply copy the ClusterID from the registry on the old master server to the new master server?

Created on Jul 13, 2011 6:28:18 PM

Votes:

Yes, that should work as well.

Created on Jul 18, 2011 11:26:05 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.