What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cert SSL installation with Microsoft CA - Service doesn't start

Votes:

I have used the description how to export the certificates for PRTG and followed the explanation. Of Course I did name the file prtg7.XXX

I have tried several time no, but in the moment I change the certificate files, my webserver doesn't start anymore.

Does anybody have an Idea?

Here is the not very helpful log

14.07.2011 15:34:45 Starting Core Server: PRTG Network Monitor 8.4.1.2283 PRTG Network Monitor 1000 ID: -1000
14.07.2011 15:34:46 Could not start webserver: Es wurde versucht, den Webserver mit diesen konfigurierten IP-/Porteinstellungen zu starten:Could not load root certificate.
Es wurde ohne Erfolg versucht, den Webserver auf der IP-Adresse X.X.X.X mit den Ports 80/443(SSL) zu starten:
Could not load root certificate. ID: -1000

My File in the Folder ..\cert are:

root.pem

prtg7.crt

prtg7.key

cerificate service ssl webserver

Created on Jul 14, 2011 1:42:13 PM

Last change on Jul 19, 2011 2:17:38 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

4 Replies

Votes:

Is the root.pem unencrypted and in the proper .pem-format?

Created on Jul 14, 2011 1:51:36 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

how can I prove this? I am quite sure that I have done everything like explained in the Tutorial. At what stage can i decide about unencrypted pem file?

Created on Jul 14, 2011 1:55:03 PM

Votes:

why ist my reply not posted?

How do I check the correct format? I did everything as explained in the manual. Which option is relevant for the format?

Created on Jul 18, 2011 11:57:44 AM

Votes:

Please open your files in a text editor. If the key file is still encrypted, you will find the word ENCRYPTED in there.

PRTG's built-in Apache web server needs PEM encoded certificate files and the .key file must be provided in decrypted format.

In order to decrypt a key, please follow the instructions given in question How can I use a trusted SSL certificate with the PRTG web interface?, post Option 3: Using a Certificate from a Microsoft CA Server, section Extract Key.

You might also want to use SSL Certificate Tools to convert files.

Created on Jul 19, 2011 2:32:17 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.