What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cloudwatch error

Votes:

I have been using a CloudWatch sensor for a couple months to monitor 4 EC2 instances of ours. For a week now, 3 of them are reporting "Access denied. Please check your access keys. (code: PE080)". These 3 happen to be on the East coast region, and the 4th one that is still working is on the West coast region.

I have tried a new AWS Access Key and Secret Access Key. I know it is correct since it works on the instance I have in West coast region. The instance names for each of these instances is correct, they are all "basic" monitoring in EC2, the timeout is set to 60 seconds, and the period (interval) is 5 minutes.

Also, I have verified that the I can go to the AWS CloudWatch tab over at aws.amazon.com and view the metrics for all 4 instances just fine.

cloudwatch error settings

Created on Jul 26, 2011 1:41:41 PM

12 Replies

Votes:

I get the same error "Access denied. Please check your access key (code: PE080)" after update of PRTG to version 8.4.2.2380. I was running 8.3 before - and it was working without issues. To me it looks like the latest version introduced an issue?

Created on Aug 16, 2011 8:08:31 PM

Votes:

Do you both have this issue with the Region US-East (Virginia) set?

Created on Aug 17, 2011 10:47:26 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hi Daniel,

Yes, I'm running all my instances in us-east-1 (N. Virginia) - I haven't tested other AWS locations - might be a location specific.

Created on Aug 17, 2011 1:53:01 PM

Votes:

We can reproduce the error. Unfortunately I do not have a date yet when this will be fixed.

Created on Aug 17, 2011 3:02:36 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Thanks - I will keep monitoring this thread for news when it will be fixed. Do you know in what version it was introduced - I might revert back to that release in meantime?

Created on Aug 17, 2011 3:15:25 PM

Votes:

The error will be fixed with PRTG version 9 (release planned for Q4/2011).

Created on Aug 18, 2011 12:17:18 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Yes, the 3 in question are in the US-East (N Virginia), not all in one availability zone there. The one that currenlty works is in the US-West (N California).

Thanks for investigating, too bad a fix won't be introduced before PRTG 9 comes out.

Created on Aug 18, 2011 2:22:41 PM

Votes:

I have the same problem and would be happy about a solution.

Created on Aug 24, 2011 7:44:01 AM

Votes:

As mentioned in a previous post, this issue will be fixed in PRTG version 9 (release planned for Q4/2011). Please bear with us.

Created on Aug 25, 2011 3:09:52 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Yes, I have seen this. It's just that I don't understand why we have to wait for the next major release for a bug fix. But no problem for me - I have only one instance in US-East.

Created on Aug 25, 2011 3:59:47 PM

Votes:

Release Candidate RC1 of PRTG 9 is available (but please note it is still a Beta version): See PRTG 9 Beta page for details.

Created on Sep 12, 2011 1:35:11 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Just installed PRTG 9. Cloudwatch monitoring in US-EAST is working again. Thanks!

Created on Oct 5, 2011 2:04:23 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.