What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I link a Trigger ID to an actual trigger?

Votes:

I like that the notification entries in sensor/device logs now include a trigger ID. However, how do I link that ID to the actual trigger that fired? We have some devices with up to 12 different triggers. We know what triggers should have fired but some of us didn't receive the notifications. We need to be able to tie the time-stamped notification log entry (with TriggerID attached) to the actual trigger that fired so we can determine first, if the correct triggers fired and second, if the right ones did fire, why we did not receive the notifications. Thanks.

alerts notifications trigger

Created on Jul 27, 2011 12:37:45 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear Jim,

I'm afraid it's not possible for the user to relate this ID to a certain trigger, it is an internal 'calculated' id, mostly to see in the notification log entries which entries belong together (i.e. a trigger triggered, a notification was created, and then hopefully sent).

best regards.

Created on Jul 27, 2011 2:40:35 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That's too bad. Can we make it an official request to add more information to the notification device/sensor log entries? In particular it would be nice to know which trigger was tripped (just a line # from the notifications page would be nice, or an actual trigger ID similar to device/sensor IDs) and the email notification info like there is in the general notifications log.

I know the notifications log contains which emails worked (and I assume other data) when an alert is sent. However it's difficult to backtrack that information to the sensor that triggered. Even more difficult is going from the individual sensor's log to the general notification log to see if there's an email sent entry. This becomes impossible with a large system with hundreds of notifications as can happen when a switch dies or a site goes down or....

Created on Jul 28, 2011 8:21:07 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.