What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Multiple VMware Host

Votes:

Hello Admins,

Good day! We are planning to use PRTG to monitor servers in a VMware environment. I was already able to test and add a single VM host and added the sensors for the virtual machine in the said VM host. Now, my question is, is it possible to monitor another VM host with another set of VM guest using only one PC with single PRTG? Because, as I have read while I was checking the knowledgebase,we need to add the credentials of the VM host in the Root group settings before we can add the sensors for the VM guest. And as I can see it, there's only one form to add the Credentials for VMware/XEN Servers. Please confirm. Thanks.

guest hostpriva vmware

Created on Jul 30, 2011 6:04:52 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

hallo,

credentials can be added per device. No need to enter them on root level.

You can create your VM host as devices and enter the credentials individually.

If you are using vMotion we suggest to add the sensors for the VMs to the vCenter server rather than to the hosts.

Created on Jul 31, 2011 6:33:30 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Great! Thanks for the reply. I was already able to get the data from 2 different Host Servers. I didn't even use vMotion or vCenter.

Created on Aug 2, 2011 3:28:21 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.